Proposed draft for the thumbnail D-Bus specification

Marius Vollmer marius.vollmer at nokia.com
Fri Oct 17 04:58:39 PDT 2008

"ext David Zeuthen" <david at fubar.dk> writes:

> On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 23:29 +0200, Philip Van Hoof wrote:
>> I think URI-schemes for desktops is something the two teams should
>> discuss, but not something we should cripple other specifications for
>> (because there's no agreement).
>
> Not to be rude, but I don't think you realize just how bad the current
> situation is. First, we need to standardize on the encoding of URIs.
> Second, we need the mechanisms consuming URIs and serving data (e.g.
> gio/gvfs, kio, etc.) to use the same underlying connections (for cookies
> etc.), same password stores etc. otherwise the user need to put in his
> password again etc.

I'd say you need common code, not just a common spec.  It's too hard
(and pretty pointless) to make two VFS implementations interoperate.
'Just' use a single one that is flexible enough for everyone.

> (That said, I do think it would be good to start work like this. But to
> base new specs on this huge problem being solved already, is counter
> productive and will not lead to anything usable.)

The thumbnail spec does not assume that the problem is solved already,
it is just prepared for the glorious day when it finally is solved.

To make this clear, we can add a sentence like "URIs are interpreted in
a implementation specific way.  The file:// scheme is the only one you
can rely on.", require specific thumbnailers to implement file://, and
allow them to implement more.