Proposed draft for the thumbnail D-Bus specification

Philip Van Hoof spam at pvanhoof.be
Tue Oct 28 06:26:24 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 13:20 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-10-26 at 15:15 +0100, Philip Van Hoof wrote:
>
> > > Also, wrt failed thumbnailings. What id should be used to look for
> > > failed thumbnailings?
> >
> > What do you mean? Atm the spec requires passing back which URIs failed.
> > Which means that the app developer can use the returned URI in the list
> > of failed URIs to determine which exact thumbnail failed. Is that
> > sufficient?
>
> Different implementations of thumbnailing may fail on different files,
> thus the failed thumbnailed files are stored in
> ~/.thumbnails/fail/$(id)/md5.png.
>
> For the libgnome thumbnailer we use "gnome-thumbnail-factory" as the id.

Aha I see.

You think the application requesting the thumbnail should pass this ID,
or should the service pick its own ID?

Passing the ID of course adding yet another string-array parameter to
the Queue method. Or perhaps we can use info coming from DBus for this?
Like dbus_g_method_get_sender?

home: me at pvanhoof dot be
gnome: pvanhoof at gnome dot org
http://pvanhoof.be/blog