Proposed draft for the thumbnail D-Bus specification

Tommi Komulainen tommi.komulainen at iki.fi
Thu Sep 4 04:25:39 PDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 3:15 PM, Philip Van Hoof <spam at pvanhoof.be> wrote:

> * Possibility for third party vendors to provide a closed source, closed
>  or patented format thumbnailer by registering support for a MIME type
>  to a manager interface that is required to be implemented by the
>  thumbnailer service.
>
>  Generic thumbnailer: org.freedesktop.manager.Register
>  Specialized thumbnailers: org.freedesktop.Create

> Register a specialized thumbnailer for mime-type. The daemon will store the unique name of the sender of the Register method to proxy Create requests to if the mime-type of the source file (the file that must be thumbnailed) matches the now registered mime-type.

Doesn't this imply the specialized thumbnailer must keep running in
order for the registration to be persistent?

Also I'm not entirely convinced using DBus messages for managing such
register plays too well with package management (packages installed as
root, thumbnailer running as user?) I think you'll need to provide a
directory where third parties can drop in configuration files similar
to .desktop and dbus .services etc.

Tommi Komulainen tommi.komulainen at iki.fi