missing a .desktop files howto

Matej Tyc matej.tyc at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 08:53:44 PDT 2008

Hello,
I am developing an aplication that could use a menu entry. I have learned
that I have to drop an appropriate .desktop file to /usr/share/applications,
but I have problems with icons.
If I write Icon=foo, then where to put the actual icon?

Anyway, I don't understand where people get those information and how come
that there are so many things in menus since it is so hard to find a howto
:-) Really, I have searched quite a lot and I wasn't able to find a user
friendly guide...

And does anyone here have any experience how to install .desktop files using
autotools?
Regards,
Matej