Proposed draft for the thumbnail D-Bus specification

Philip Van Hoof spam at pvanhoof.be
Fri Sep 5 02:28:47 PDT 2008

Hi Tommi, Rob and Havoc!

The three of you had comments about the Manager interface. This is now
removed and replaced.

A first draft[1] of a better proposal for registration of specialized
thumbnailers have been written.

I have not yet adapted the prototype[2] to use this, but this will
happen either today or next week.

[1]     http://live.gnome.org/ThumbnailerSpec
[1]bis: http://live.gnome.org/ThumbnailerSpec#head-83f1d6d2084e75742104681ad94c29b8d0dd2052
[2]     https://stage.maemo.org/svn/maemo/projects/haf/branches/hildon-thumbnail/daemonize/daemon/

Pleas let me know what you think about it.

Note about the protoype: now you can run a GModule made for the
prototype as a standalone specialized thumbnailer. This means that the
specialized thumbnailer specification can be tested with the prototype
this way.

This is the code that does this:
https://stage.maemo.org/svn/maemo/projects/haf/branches/hildon-thumbnail/daemonize/daemon/plugin-runner.c

On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 12:25 +0100, Tommi Komulainen wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 3:15 PM, Philip Van Hoof <spam at pvanhoof.be> wrote:
> >
> > * Possibility for third party vendors to provide a closed source, closed
> >  or patented format thumbnailer by registering support for a MIME type
> >  to a manager interface that is required to be implemented by the
> >  thumbnailer service.
> >
> >  Generic thumbnailer: org.freedesktop.manager.Register
> >  Specialized thumbnailers: org.freedesktop.Create
>
> > Register a specialized thumbnailer for mime-type. The daemon will store the unique name of the sender of the Register method to proxy Create requests to if the mime-type of the source file (the file that must be thumbnailed) matches the now registered mime-type.
>
> Doesn't this imply the specialized thumbnailer must keep running in
> order for the registration to be persistent?
>
> Also I'm not entirely convinced using DBus messages for managing such
> register plays too well with package management (packages installed as
> root, thumbnailer running as user?) I think you'll need to provide a
> directory where third parties can drop in configuration files similar
> to .desktop and dbus .services etc.

home: me at pvanhoof dot be
gnome: pvanhoof at gnome dot org
http://pvanhoof.be/blog