Proposed draft for the thumbnail D-Bus specification

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 04:47:00 PDT 2008

Just did a quick review of the Thumbnailer spec on
http://live.gnome.org/ThumbnailerSpec as of today. Overall it seems
good, but I have a few comments+questions.

 * It took me two reads to grok the interplay between Queue and
Unqueue. It is elegant I give you that, but it could be explained
better.

 * Why do each specialized thumbnailer has its own interface name? Ie
com.mikkel.Thumbnailer? Since the interface is defined by the
thumbnailer spec anyway, why is the name not? Calling it
org.freedesktop.ThumbnailFactory or something would be more consistent
imho.

 * Under which circumstances does the methods throw errors and when do
they silently fail?
  - What happens if I Queue the file "$£@2345234.$£"?
  - Unqueuing a non-exisitng handle is probably not worth throwing
errors for, but should be noted

 * Which URI schemes are supported? Can I thumbnail web pages? Perhaps
there should be some introspection for this (both in the generic
thumbnailer and the specialized ones).

Other than that good work! Cheers,
Mikkel