Proposed draft for the thumbnail D-Bus specification

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 06:25:49 PDT 2008

2008/9/7 Patryk Zawadzki <patrys at pld-linux.org>:
> On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 1:47 PM, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen
> <mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  * Under which circumstances does the methods throw errors and when do
>> they silently fail?
>>  - What happens if I Queue the file "$£@2345234.$£"?
>>  - Unqueuing a non-exisitng handle is probably not worth throwing
>> errors for, but should be noted
>
> I don't think any errors for unqueue make sense as trying to unqueue
> an already finished job would be no different from trying to unqueue
> an arbitrary number.

That was also what I meant :-)

> Wouldn't it make more sense to unqueue single jobs by URI or by URI
> prefix (say I want to cancel indexing the directory I am no longer
> monitoring)? Using ints here would allow one buggy process to
> accidentally break other processes (say a bug leads to an
> uninitialized gint which matches a real queue ID).

Well. The server could keep track of handle<->dbus_sender_id and
return and error if dbus_sender_id has never queued the given handle.

In fact the server would need to keep track of this anyway so that it
can abort thumbnailing jobs when the client exits the bus. I don't
know if this should be speced or not though, as it just an
optimization in the server really.

--
Cheers,
Mikkel