Proposed draft for the thumbnail D-Bus specification

Jakob Petsovits jpetso at gmx.at
Tue Sep 9 09:25:55 PDT 2008

On Tuesday 09 September 2008, Philip Van Hoof wrote:
> No, your application (the library on top) must take the
> best-fit thumbnail and do a final resize instead.

Hm, that's two resizes in the case of images - first time you resize down from
the original image to the thumbnail-specified size, and then you resize
*again* from the thumbnail-specified size to the displayed size.
I can see three clear disadvantages with that approach:

- Unnecessary performance (= battery) issues, obviously
- Resizing from a small, already-resized image looks just terrible
- Plus you can't really do plaintext previews with tiny fonts (like present
  in Konqueror for KDE 3) because you must assume that resizing the
  thumbnail makes it unreadable.

That imho defeats all quality requirements that can be demanded from a
thumbnailer (bad image quality, unreadable text) unless you use the exact
specified sizes. There must be a better way to do that, no?

Hoping for the best,
  Jakob