Proposed draft for the thumbnail D-Bus specification

David Faure dfaure at trolltech.com
Tue Sep 9 14:22:44 PDT 2008

On Tuesday 09 September 2008, Philip Van Hoof wrote:
> Well, the thumbnail-spec allows to put nearby sizes in either large or
> normal

This is my main issue with all this.
The thumbnail-spec is about what gets cached onto the disk, right? Of course
it wouldn't make sense to store 200x200 pixmaps of every file you moved the mouse over.

HOWEVER, a thumbnail _service_ should be able to provide such large previews without
storing them on disk, i.e. completely unrelated to the thumbnail-on-disk-spec.

Either I'm missing something here, or a dbus thumbnail service that would be limited to
small thumbnails, would be of rather limited use... (what's the point of switching
to something that would only do half of what we need...)