Notifications spec: Icons

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at kde.org
Thu Apr 2 15:20:41 PDT 2009

Le Torsdag 2 april 2009, Matthew Paul Thomas a écrit :

> Awesome. I guess that means for any non-feature (e.g. syntax) changes in
> the spec, you need to change only one thing (knotify4), instead of
> changing a bunch of applications and libraries as Gnome would need to do.

Yes, we need to change the client (knotify) and the server (plasma)

> > it would be easy to switch it to icon_data, but it would be nice to
> > have the better name if possible.
>
> In what respect would "image_data" be better? The term "icon" is fairly
> well-known amongst the target audience for this protocol,

Yes, but it describe a different thing.

The "icon" is a small picture that represent the application. while the image
is more general. it is an optional image that goes with the notification. It
is only used for few notification (on KDE, only Kopete adds an image to the
notification AFAIK)