Notifications spec: Icons

Aurélien Gâteau aurelien.gateau at canonical.com
Tue Apr 7 00:37:22 PDT 2009

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Monday 06 April 2009, Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
>> Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
>>> I'll see if we can collect some data on how many notifications currently
>>> specify app_icon, how many set it to something other than the
>>> application icon, how many set icon_data, how many set both, and how
>>> many set neither.
>> Here are some stats, based on the 64 packages in Ubuntu repositories
>> which depend on libnotify:
>>
>> Packages using notify_notification_new with an icon: 42
>> Of those, packages using their own app icon: 9
>>           packages using a different icon:   34
>>           (some packages do both)
>
> using a different icon means they are using an icon from the icon theme, or a
> custom icon not included in the icon spec?

It depends: some are using GTK stock icons, others are using full path
to icons, yet others are using icon names.

>> Packages using notify_notification_set_icon_from_pixbuf: 19
>
> and these don't use app_icon at all, i take it?

update-notifier uses both, but the images it loads with
set_icon_from_pixbuf are GTK stock icons...
It's an exception though, all other packages I checked use either
app_icon or icon_data, not both.

Aurélien