XDG Icon Spec: requesting new icons for headsets, speakers, headphones

Jakob Petsovits jpetso at gmx.at
Mon Apr 20 23:10:01 PDT 2009

On Tuesday 21 April 2009, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> With what I suggested above, the icons would then be:
>
> headset
> microphone
> speaker (replacing audio-card)
> speaker-headphones
[snip]

> What do people think about this? We'd probably want to also rename the
> status icons from audio-volume-... to speaker-volume-...
>
> Comments, complaints?

When you do that, speaker-volume-* will fall back to speaker. I can hardly
imagine that a correctly themed speaker icon makes for better usability than
an actual volume icon in a theme that is slightly off.

(In other words, please make use namespacing so that icons from one category
don't fall back to icons from another.)

Cheers,
  Jakob