KNotificationAreaItem

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Apr 24 00:24:12 PDT 2009

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>* secondary, if any, action to be taken

How about tertiary and quaternary actions? I'm not thinking here of wheel
events (which the spec supports by calling Wheel, but of those fancy mice
with more than the 5 standard buttons.

It's not that far-fetched to think of them: most laptop touchpads support
horizontal scrolling, which are usually keyed to buttons 6 and 7 on X11.
An application like a media player could use the primary wheel to control
playback volume, whereas the horizontal scrolling could be used for
seeking in the current track.

My point is: should the SecondaryActivation call provide extra
identification information? MMB would be ID = 0, button 6 would be ID = 1,
button 7 would be ID = 2.

In a theoretical system tray area with keyboard focus, I imagine Enter
would trigger Activation, the context menu button would trigger
ContextMenu, PgUp and PgDown would trigger Wheel, but there are a lot of
other keys available which could be used.

OTOH, if we do provide such ability, there will be applications making use
of it, which in turn means they'll have limited functionality if the
system tray supports less events.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358