http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki claims to be valid HTML but is not

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Fri Apr 3 10:01:40 PDT 2009

Hi folks--

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki claims (see bottom right corner) to be
valid HTML 4.01.

However, it is not:

  http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A//www.freedesktop.org/wiki

These problems seem to be related to the template used, because they are
common to all the pages on the wiki, fwict.

Also, it contains at least one instance of what looks like a charset
mangling (it should be "the primary entrée into these discussions...").

I'd have fixed this last bug myself, but the page appears to be
immutable, so i'm bugging you all about it too :/

Thanks for your work toward the free desktop specification!

Regards,

	--dkg

(i'm not on this list, please keep me in the CC field if you want me to
read any responses)