[desktop entry spec] new FullName key

Luca Ferretti elle.uca at libero.it
Sun Aug 2 08:17:03 PDT 2009

> > The solutions you propose add clutter to the menus, in the form of
> > > parens or dashes, just to cover up the fact that there is no good way to
> > > combine the two fields that does not cause translation problems.
> >
> > If you don't like parens or dashes, use the more modern two-line solution,
> > with the name on the first line and the genericname on the second line.
>
> Ok, maybe I should have mentioned newlines as yet another workaround.
>
> Why is it so hard to acknowledge that if you want to show a piece of
> text as one unit in the interface, it needs to be presented as one unit
> to the translators ?

As translator, proofreader and coordinator of translation team, I don't
agree so much.

First, most translators don't know what they have to do with those "Name
GenericName" strings. We are forced to explain to new members what those
translatable messages are and how should be translated.

Second, some languages, such as French or Italian, don't follow the same
layout. "Name GenericName" could sound like a grammar error in Italian,
so we have to switch the order to "GenericName Name"[1]. This is a task
that we have to manually perform and check, and we can't ensure that all
translations will follow this rule, at least not for applications
outside git.gnome.org (yes, some "amateur" translators strictly follow
English rules in Italian...)

So, as GNOME translator and coordinator, I could really appreciate a
single "%1$s %2$s" translatable message in glib or gnome-menus to choose
the default order and layout for Name and GenericName, once and for all.
The (localized) FullName label could be programmatically composed,
trusting that all labels will appear the same.

But I agree that i18n/l10n is a crazy stuff, so a hardcoded FullName
translatable string could be needed. For example, if you have

  Name=Epiphany
  GenericName=Web Browser
  Name[it]=Epiphany
  GenericName[it]=Web browser

and you programmatically compose them using Name + GenericName, you'll
have

  [it] -> Epiphany Web browser

This is an error in Italian language, it should be "Epiphany web
browser" (see the case of Web/web). This is just a fictional example,
just to show that the programmaticall approach couldn't be good for some
languages (I repeat, some language, and it's just a personal
hypothesis).

Summarizing: to have an homogeneous inteface, the proposed FullName key
is a menace :)
I suggest to check how many languages are not confortable with
programmatical approach before adding it. For Italian language, the
programmatical approch is fine (and desired) if you provide us a "%1$s %
2$s" to choose the order.

[1] to be honest we adopted the "Name - GenericName" approach in Italian