[desktop entry spec] new FullName key

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Sun Aug 2 15:26:48 PDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-08-02 at 16:48 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Jannis Pohlmann wrote:
>

> > Well, according to the GNOME HIG, applications are supposed to have
> > their Name set to e.g. "Epiphany Web Browser" or "Nautilus File
> > Manager" [1]. (It doesn't explicitely say that, but if you want
> > "Epiphany Web Browser" to be displayed in menus, setting Name to this is
> > the only way.
>
> Isn't that more because GNOME doesn't support GenericName at all?  (I'd love
> to be wrong)

Not sure what you mean with 'supporting GenericName', but the current
GNOME HIG recommendations are the way they are precisely because of the
translatability concerns of combining Name and GenericName
programatically. GNOME decided to (mis)use the Name field to have the
same meaning that the newly proposed FullName field would have.