[desktop entry spec] new FullName key

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Aug 3 07:35:28 PDT 2009

Le lundi 03 août 2009 à 13:32 +0000, Colin Walters a écrit :
> 2009/8/2 Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net>:
> >>
> >> Chauvinist!!! :D
> >
> > Well, it's true, that's one of the peculiarities of the English
> > language. It made early American computer science easy but it also makes
> > it a very poor choice to base i18n decisions on.
>
> Nicolas, if the GNOME panel was adapted for a multi-line approach as
> Albert suggested, do you think that would work in most locales?

That's one possibility. Don't really know how well it would work in
menus though, and trying to concatenate the two lines as I'm sure
someone will try to will result in the usual i18n disaster.

Anyway, the main requirement for i18n is to stop playing games and
"saving" translator time by composing keys to generate other keys. If
you want to display a sentence put the sentence as-is as a translatable
resource and let translators take care of translating.

--
Nicolas Mailhot