No subject

Mon Aug 3 08:12:29 PDT 2009

But what I'd like is a rough consensus yes/no on whether it would be
generally OK for i18n or not.

> and trying to concatenate the two lines as I'm sure
> someone will try to will result in the usual i18n disaster.

That is a concern, yes.  Actually, hm, yes a bigger concern than I
thought.  We would need to fix other places in the desktop besides the
panel main menu, concretely I'm thinking of the "Open with" dialog
here, generally anything that interacts with files and MIME is going
to need multiple lines.   Hmm, hard.

> Anyway, the main requirement for i18n is to stop playing games and
> "saving" translator time by composing keys to generate other keys. If
> you want to display a sentence put the sentence as-is as a translatable
> resource and let translators take care of translating.

Yeah, I understand that.  I think what this comes down to is to what
percentage of the desktop we can fix.  Say for example if we get the
gnome-panel, fix up nautilus, eog, basically grep the desktop core for
anything that calls g_app_info_get_name, but if a few corner cases are
broken (maybe the system monitor say), and we have a fallback
concatenation in some form, it would generally be OK.