Have a way to dynamically change software associations at distribution level

Francois Gouget fgouget at codeweavers.com
Tue Aug 4 02:31:07 PDT 2009

Didier Roche a écrit :
[...]
> To handle application priorities, the idea is to rely on the .desktop
> files having an optional InitialPreference=<Priority> (similar key to
> what KDE is using)

Actually, this is not a 'similar key', but the exact key that KDE is
using to this day.

I think using the exact same key as KDE is the right thing to do, but
then they should be compatible. That means:
  * Increasing numerical value means increasing priority (no problem
here apparently).
  * Highest priority is (typically) 10 and lowest 1.

That last point is a problem if you want to dynamically assign
priorities to the defaults.list entries: in your example you already
have 6 entries which would cover a good part of the available priority
range already.

KDE has used InitialPreference since long before XDG existed. So that
causes me to wonder. Why didn't XDG use this scheme from the get-go? Was
it considered and ruled out? If so, what were the reasons at the time?
Don't they still apply?

--
Francois Gouget
fgouget at codeweavers.com