Have a way to dynamically change software associations at distribution level

Francois Gouget fgouget at codeweavers.com
Tue Aug 4 09:32:36 PDT 2009

David Faure a écrit :
[...]
>> Then for example XFCE could multiply priorities of
>> apps with KDE/QT in categories by 0.7 and priorities of XFCE apps by
>> 1.5.
>
> This could be a solution for "prefer native apps" indeed; but maybe it wouldn't
> give enough control to the distributions?

Having a multiplier seems very complex opaque to me: if my application
has a priority of 7 and the XFCE application a priority of 5, which one
is the preferred one? There's the rounding issue of course, but there's
also an uncertainty on the multiplier value. Would XFCE, KDE and Gnome
all use the same multiplier? Would SUSE's Gnome multiplier be the same
as Fedora's or won't each Linux distributor be tempted to tweak it to
'solve' priority issues?

Why not just say that if two applications have the same priority, then
the desktop environment checks their category to select the 'native' one.

The Linux distributors can arrange to have the priorities set right on
the desktop files they ship. Ideally this would even be agreed upon
upstream for most applications (unless we see a priority race instead).

And at least, ISVs could trust the content of the InitialPreference
field instead of having to second guess the multiplier that's going to
be applied to them

--
Francois Gouget
fgouget at codeweavers.com