Have a way to dynamically change software associations at distribution level

Didier Roche didrocks at ubuntu.com
Sun Aug 9 02:25:35 PDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 10:14 AM, PCMan<pcman.tw at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 4:33 AM, Didier Roche<didrocks at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> Well… I think you misread the beginning of this thread:
>> - mimeinfo.cache is specific to GNOME, so no chance ATM that other
>> desktop environments changes their behaviors to drop their own cache
>> system;
> I don't think this is gnome-specific. It's documented in "Desktop
> Entry" freedesktop.org spec.
> FYI: http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spec-0.9.4.html
> Besides, it's also used and well-supported by XFCE and LXDE.
> So, it doesn't seem to be specific to gnome.

Oh right.

BTW, KDE, as David previously told, seems not using this system. And
it remains a cache file, so, no reason for distrib to patch it.
In my plan, once the spec is written, We will update this cache file
(and so, for all desktop environments using it) in patching
update-desktop-database to make it taken into account the new priority
level in *.desktop.

Seeing if we need to add to this file, the priority number and the
Category in a similar way that specific priority has been added to
Mime-Type (ie using the same format "text/html;5;"), I'm not sure…
Didier