[desktop entry spec] new FullName key

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon Aug 17 02:57:34 PDT 2009

On Friday 14 August 2009, Frederic Peters wrote:
> David Faure wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday 12 August 2009, Francois Gouget wrote:
> > > What about changing it to something like:
> > >
> > >     Name: Display name of the desktop file. For Type=Application desktop
> > > files it should contain the name of the application. For example
> > > "Mozilla Browser".

I agree with everything else from your email, just not with the above proposal,
i.e. changing the meaning of the "Name" key. Did you really mean "Name"
above, and not FullName or DisplayName?

> > This would break the use cases with two lines in the menu,
> > like we have nowadays in KDE4. We want
> >
> >  Web Browser
> >     Mozilla
> >
> > hence the need for separation between Name and GenericName.
>
> Definitely.  The problem is that GNOME has used a different meaning
> for the Name key, so it could provide the menu items it wanted.

Right.

> Adding a FullName (or DisplayName) key now is kind of late but the
> way to get back to real interoperability, as it will allow GNOME to
> fix our desktop files while keeping the menu items we want.

Agreed.

> As you wrote before your vacations:
>
>  | But if the one who adds FullName to every desktop file also fixes up the
>  | Name and GenericName keys of the file in order to stop the duplication
>  | nonsense there and actually follow the spec then I guess I withdraw my
>  | objection against FullName.

Yes (and I still agree with that).

> Stopping the duplication nonsense and following the spec is exactly
> how I see the new key proposal.

Makes sense to me. But we seem to disagree on the actual means to do that?
I suggest to leave Name / GenericName as specified, and to add a new key
for the full one-line description, while you (unless I misunderstand) suggest to
redefine Name as the full one-line description? How does that allow a two-line
implementation to find what it needs?