[desktop entry spec] new FullName key

PCMan pcman.tw at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 07:45:44 PDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 3:53 PM, Frederic Peters<fpeters at gnome.org> wrote:
> David Faure wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday 12 August 2009, Francois Gouget wrote:
>> > What about changing it to something like:
>> >
>> >     Name: Display name of the desktop file. For Type=Application desktop
>> > files it should contain the name of the application. For example
>> > "Mozilla Browser".
>>
>> This would break the use cases with two lines in the menu,
>> like we have nowadays in KDE4. We want
>>
>>  Web Browser
>>     Mozilla
>>
>> hence the need for separation between Name and GenericName.
>
> Definitely.  The problem is that GNOME has used a different meaning
> for the Name key, so it could provide the menu items it wanted.

Apparently it's the right time to fix it. Before the new spec get
settled, I suggest that GNOME developers should use X-FullName NOW and
that's exactly what X- is for. Then you can have all of your desktop
files fixed immediately before we have a conclusion. Your apps will
still work without breaking anything or affecting other DEs. Later
when the spec is done, a simple find/replace to use a standardized key
name can update all of your desktop files and make them standard
compliant. Besides, if all of the GNOME desktop files are fixed, and
it's proved working well, then the proposal of FullName can be widely
accepted since it really works and can also be accepted by
translaters.

Of course, for backward compatibility you should use Name if
X-FullName is not in the deksopt entry file. I think this is the best
strategy for the migration you're doing now.