Have a way to dynamically change software associations at distribution level

Martin Bagge / brother brother at bsnet.se
Wed Aug 19 05:23:01 PDT 2009

Jannis Pohlmann wrote:
> Maybe define ranges for different purposes. Dunno how many different
> priorities you really need, but e.g. if we used 50, we could say that
> in the InitialPreference
>
>    0-30 is for upstream
>   30-50 is reserved for third party modifications (e.g. distributions)
>
> That would make sure distributions really have control. Otherwise, if
> you allowed upstream to go up to 50, you can never be sure whether or
> not your highest priority app will not be overriden by another app
> coming with the DE.

I try to get my head around those figures, what upstream developer would
have up to 25-30 apps in the same category? That's an insane amount of
priority numbers. Even 15 is in the upper ranges imho. Can you provide
an example that needs this? Real world?

"Hi I am upstream developer X and have 29 really nice and innovative
text editors here, let me just package them nicely."

As more or less all upstream developers will give there initial
preference as 29 (or in the upper five at least) I really would like to
here the real need where this amount of fine grained priority is really
useful.

The basic idea however is good and at the distribution level (and even
in DE level), please note that I see the DE as something other than the
upstream developers here. I want there major levels in the scale.

--
brother