Have a way to dynamically change software associations at distribution level

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Fri Aug 21 01:45:58 PDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-08-19 at 22:02 +0200, David Faure wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 August 2009, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > Prefixing with the
> > desktop name is fully backwards compat with deployed file formats, and
> > needs no extra files, which is why I like it.
>
> And yet it has exactly the drawbacks you mentionned before in the same email,
> about not abusing the mimetype system ;-)

It does, and it does not. The "munged" mimetypes would only exists in
the implementation of the mapping from mimetype to desktop file name.
They would not exist anywhere they would risk being shown to an
application as a result of some sort of lookup.

> In which file exactly would you use a fake mimetypename like KDE-text/plain?
> I certainly don't think this should appear in mimeapps.list nor in desktop
> files, right?
> So this is only for mimeinfo.cache, or am I missing something?

Exactly. And you never do reverse lookups in that or use the set of
mimetypes there as the full list of mimetypes.

> About a better name than DesignedFor... UseByDefaultIn?

Yeah, that sounds better.