[desktop entry spec] new FullName key

Petr Kovar pmkovar at gnome.org
Sun Aug 9 08:49:20 PDT 2009

Hi!

Christian Rose <menthos at menthos.com>, Fri, 7 Aug 2009 13:30:37 +0200:

> On 8/7/09, Vincent Untz <vuntz at gnome.org> wrote:
> > Le lundi 03 août 2009, à 16:53 +0200, Christian Rose a écrit :
> > > So, as always with localization, you just can't concatenate sentences
> >  > or pieces of sentences and get a result. It has to be translated as a
> >  > whole.
> >
> > So it seems we have a good argument that "%1$s - %2$s" (with Name &
> >  GenericName) is wrong.
> >
> >  Christian, just out of interest: is it also true for "%1$s (%2$s)" (I
> >  would expect it is).
>
> Yes. Actually, in the specific case of Swedish "%1$s (%2$s)" could
> work, but it would be a lot less elegant than the whole string without
> parentheses, and I can imagine other languages where it would not
> work. Let's keep it simple and translate it as a whole.

With regard to the approaches described above, amongst other things,
there'd be issue with (noun) capitalization. E.g. in Slovak, we translate
"Rhythmbox Music Player" (that is "Name GenericName") as "Prehrávač hudby
Rhythmbox" (that is "GenericName Name"), because just as in many other
languages, unlike English, the "preponed" indeclinable attribute is
orthographically incorrect, as Luca has implied before in his message that
dealt with Italian.

Now, with the approach like "Name - GenericName", we change the
capitalization of the GenericName, so then we get "Rhythmbox - prehrávač
hudby", not "Rhythmbox - Prehrávač hudby", which would be orthographically
incorrect, too. Here, the "- prehrávač hudby" fragment is conceived as a
description, not as a (generic) name with capital letter(s), hence the
minuscule.

Linguistically yours,
Petr Kovar