[desktop entry spec] new WM_CLASS key

Aleksey Shaferov a.shaferov at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 02:08:42 PDT 2009

>http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/ApplicationBased
Make WM_CLASS equal to .desktop-file name is a good solution too.
But WM_CLASS consists of two parts: res_name and res_class, and they
may differ (e.g. GNUStep applications).
What to do in this case?

Anyway solution must be system wide, not Gnome only.
I've found that there is StartupWMClass key in desktop entry spec, but
it is not marked as required and not used. (There is only one desktop
file with this key on my system - firefox).
Another solution - make this key required.