Have a way to dynamically change software associations at distribution level

Stanislav Brabec sbrabec at suse.cz
Thu Aug 27 07:22:21 PDT 2009

Didier Roche wrote:

> >> or SuitedIn?
> >
> > SuitedFor seems like the more "correct" form of that, but I think
> > UseByDefaultIn is better. Its less jugemental and talks only about what
> > the effect of this is.

Thinking about it a bit deeper, SuitedFor alone is not capable to cover
all use cases.

Example from real life:

evince.desktop:
SuitedFor=GNOME
MimeTypes=...;image/tiff;...

eog.desktop:
SuitedFor=GNOME
MimeTypes=...;image/tiff;...

With the SuitedFor alone, you have no chance to improve the default
application heuristic.

That is why a keyword like DesignedForMimeTypes or SuitedForMimeTypes
(with its possible negative form) in addition to SuitedFor would be able
to create better heuristic:

"Yes, evince is an application suited for GNOME desktop that is capable
to open TIFF images, but it should not be a default for TIFF images."

evince.desktop:
SuitedFor=GNOME
NotSuitedForMimeTypes=image/tiff;
MimeTypes=...;image/tiff;...

Another example:

"GEdit is a good GNOME default for text/plain, but C sources should be
edited in a dedicated program."

gedit.desktop:
SuitedFor=GNOME
SuitedForMimeTypes=text/plain;
MimeTypes=...;text/plain;text/x-csrc;...

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer
SUSE LINUX, s. r. o.                          e-mail: sbrabec at suse.cz
Lihovarská 1060/12           tel: +420 284 028 966, +49 911 740538747
190 00 Praha 9                                  fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic                                    http://www.suse.cz/