Notification System

Esben Stien b0ef at esben-stien.name
Tue Dec 1 14:15:43 PST 2009

I'm actually stumped about where to write about this issue. Please point
my in any direction.

I'm unable to find any notification system that actually notifies me.

Playing with notification-daemon/galago proves unfruitful. The project
seems abandoned and the maintainer is MIA. It doesn't provide the
capability to display notifications when I have a fullscreen app
running, like mplayer.

Zenity also have no way to do this.

I've also installed notify-osd, which actually manages to display a
notification over my running mplayer, but it disappears again. It
doesn't have any way to remain in place; probably because it doesn't
have any way to close it, since it doesn't support actions.

Running it with a timeout of 0 displays a dialog box, which also does
not appear on top of my fullscreen mplayer.

So, any pointers what I can do to actually get notified?.

..short of developing my own dbus listener daemon and firing up
something that is always on top..!

--
Esben Stien is b0ef at e     s      a
         http://www. s     t    n m