OSD symbols

Jakub Steiner jimmac at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 08:52:13 PST 2009

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 5:11 PM, Kenneth Wimer <kwwii at sinecera.de> wrote:
> Most important will be the foreground colors like normal, prelight, active,
> selected and insensitive.

To keep things simple, we should treat the symbols as monochrome, ie.
only one color is used and the symbol would be colorized in the very
same way as text in the particular context. If a particular widget is
prelit, fg[PRELIGHT] would be used (I guess that would have to be
text[PRELIGHT] if it was a text entry widget. So in that regard
injecting CSS or rendering it the way Patryk suggested would be equal.

> How many other colors are needed? Warning/Failure, Success/Completion/New are
> two that come to mind.

If we go for monochrome symbols, this would be a matter of coloring
the widget's fg/bg. The symbol would get the very same treatment as
the accompanying text. I think we should avoid recoloring particular
falure/warning icons in the systray though. We might get away with
stick an emblem on such symbols.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24178/osd/notification.png

Otherwise we would need to introduce some standard named colors in the
widget themes and fall back to some default for those that aren't
ready, which might not work for all of them.

> Do we need to consider animations (network manager comes to mind)?

Good question. Going with the tiled single icon file like we have for
process-working would probably be a cleaner approach than having a
number suffix to multiple files. Going with whatever Network Manager
expects now is probably the road of least resistance though?

cheers

--
Jakub Steiner <jimmac at gmail.com>
http://jimmac.musichall.cz