Actions extensions in File Manager

PCMan pcman.tw at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 09:30:03 PST 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 11:25 PM, Pierre Wieser <pwieser at trychlos.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've eventually written my own draft of a desktop entry specification
> extension ; it is available at [1].
>
> I don't have found a real consensus in the discussions which have
> already taken place here (see e.g. [2], [3], [4]).
> I have so preferred to go with a different approach which could be
> summarized in two points :
>
> - there is only one action per .desktop file, maybe with several profiles
>  which may apply to different environments ; only the first profile
>  whose conditions are met will be candidate to be displayed in the
>  context menu for this action
How do you handle menu items which have submenus?
Besides, some kind of caching is needed. Otherwise having to read many
files can hurt performance.
> - menu definition is left to the already existing spec [5] ; I find
>  it very complicated, and it may also need an extension, but it
>  exists and cannot just be thrown away
This one is apparently too complicated for what we need in file
managers. The current menu spec almost has nothing in common with file
manager actions. A new spec specifically designed for this work should
be better.