basedir spec

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Dec 25 11:34:38 PST 2009

On Friday, 2009-12-25, Bernd wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I reported an issue on the TV-Browser issue tracker to respect the
> freedesktop basedir specification:
> http://tvbrowser.org:8080/jira/browse/TVB-721
>
> But they closed the issue with "Won't Fix". The argument was that the
> freedesktop basedir specification is distro related and not every distro
> respect this specifications.
>
> Could someone explain me what the TV-Browser developers mean or could
> someone help me to argue on the issue for TV-Browser?

The basedir spec is the base of so many other specs that it is highly unlikely
that any distribution with desktop related packages ha patched all of those
packages to not comply with the spec.

Maybe they could give an example of a distribution which patches all
conforming software to use different default paths?
(i.e. using something else than $HOME/.config and not having $XDG_CONFIG_HOME
set to that path)

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring