Define rules to promote sub-categories to the main menu?

Joseph Krahn joseph.krahn at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 08:58:43 PST 2009

Some of the issues with defining main-level menus is that it depends
somewhat on the installed software. For example, I agree that Science
should be a top-level menu, because I have a many scientific
applications installed. Someone else might only have one or two
installed, in which case a top-level menu is not very useful.

My suggestion is to define a rule that allows sub-categories to be
promoted to the main menu level if the number of entries exceeds some
threshold. It is not a perfect solution, but it seems like a
reasonable way to provide a pre-defined system menu that has a
somewhat better fit to the set of installed software.