.desktop file security

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Tue Feb 24 04:49:57 PST 2009

On Tue, 2009-02-24 at 13:27 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> 6. Make sure that launchers added to the Desktop and whatnot are marked
> as executable.

This is actually kinda tricky. DnDing a launcher from the start menu or
the panel in Gnome is just a regular copy operation of the source
desktop file. We don't want the normal copy operation to rewrite and
chmod a+x all desktop files in general, since people expect a standard
copy of a filesystem tree to not modify any of the files.

I guess we can special case the case of a single .desktop file being
copied to the desktop. Are there other similar cases that seem likely to
happen in practice?