Mapping ctrl-click to right click?

ben chang bchang at artic.edu
Fri Jan 2 10:16:23 PST 2009

I'd like to map Ctrl+Click to R-click; meaning, hold down the Ctrl key and click
button 1, and have that be reported as Button 3.  The most I can figure out how
to do is just map the Ctrl key by itself to Button 3, but that's not quite
right :)

The reason is because I'm using Linux on a Macbook.  Since the early 1980's
Apple has steadfastly believed that all humans only have one finger, so their
mice and, more importantly, laptop touchpads only have one button.

At some point this led to the "Ctrl+Click" convention for contextual menus and
other things that are normally done with R-click.  In Linux we can get mouse
buttons 2 and 3 using multi-finger touch or tap on the touchpad through the
synaptics driver, but that's kind of awkward.

The other obvious solution is of course to dremel out a little bit of the case
and solder in two more buttons but I thought I'd check on this first 'cause
that would be kind of messy.

thanks,

--Ben Chang