New lib

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Jan 7 08:12:28 PST 2009

On Wednesday 07 January 2009, Hazel . wrote:
> I want to create a library to be used by desktops as a common API between
> different operative systems to hide the complex of obtaining and parsing
> hardware statistics like CPU, memory or network interfaces usage. Is there
> anything that already implements this?

there's a cross platform tool written in plain C in called "ksysguardd" which
can be found in kdebase/workspace/ksysguard/ksysguardd. it has no dependencies
other than a C compiler and one of the supported OSes (Linux, various BSD's,
Solaris, Irix, Tru64).

it talks over a socket (so it can also be used to gather these stats
remotely).

i'd suggest looking at it as a starting point since it's got all the hard work
done and has been proven to work over many years of production use.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se