sending apps to the right place in the (new) submenu

schoappied schoappied at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 11:21:44 PST 2009

Rodney Dawes wrote:
> This is handled through categories. Of course Rhythmbox doesn't play
> multiple types of media yet afaik. It only does music. :)
>
> If the categories in the .desktop file for the app, and the .menu file
> match up, then the app shows up in that menu, unless the implementation
> is doing something wrong/weird/different. If you read the menu spec, you
> will see how the categories stuff works.
>
> --
Ok, so 'each' source of an application contains a file *.desktop. If I
want to make sure it will be placed in the new (sub)menu, I have to edit it.

I'm thinking of a redesign of menus cause I want to build a custom
multimedia distro. Now all the audio and video apps in Gnome are
displayed in 'audio/video'. That means in a average Linux multimedia
distro that you got about 15 different apps in that menu (Linux -> one
task one app...) .

This confuses especially newbies, so it would be much better to have
something like:

Audioproduction > Tools > Qjackctl
                                             > meterbridge
                             Recording > Ardour
                                                 > Audacity
                                     MIDI > Rosegarden
                                                 > Qtractor

etc.

Thoughts, comments and advise is welcome...

Cheers,

\s