What constitutes "user configuration files" in the XDG basedir spec?

Vincent Untz vuntz at gnome.org
Thu Jan 15 02:32:25 PST 2009

Le mercredi 14 janvier 2009, à 21:23 +0100, Dieter Plaetinck a écrit :
> Rodney Dawes wrote:
>> If I resize my app's window to be more suitable for my uses, where
>> should that configuration be saved then? It is configuration data,
>> though all configuration data may not necessarily be what you expect
>> it to be.
>>

> It is not *user configuration*.  Your program comes up with that by
> itself, your user probably doesn't even know about this.

Err, if the user resizes the window, I would think he knows that, well,
he resizes the window. Am I missing something here? :-)

I'd think it's some user configuration too. Not critical, but still.

[...]

> I hereby propose a draft of an updated version of the spec:
> http://users.edpnet.be/dieter/basedir-spec-0.7-PROPOSAL.html
> What I did is just add a section "examples" which describes a bit more
> in detail what belongs where and gives some practical examples.

I like the idea of giving examples. I kind of disagree with "These files
are only to be edited by the user manually, or by the relevant program
on behalf of a user because the user changed configuration through a
GUI:", though.

What do other people think?

Vincent

--