What constitutes "user configuration files" in the XDG basedir spec?

Sanel Zukan sanelz at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 04:07:16 PST 2009

David Faure wrote:
> Yes I disagree with this. Config files are used for much more than this,
> and I don't see a problem with that. Config files are the best place to store
> window size, toolbar positions, recent urls, etc. etc.

+1

Rodney Dawes wrote:
> It is not *user configuration*.  Your program comes up with that by
> itself, your user probably doesn't even know about this.

I'm not sure how window size got related with $XDG_CACHE_HOME?
Just because program generates them? With this, what about
created icons on desktop via GUI dialog? Implying previous, they
are also non essential and should go with $XDG_CACHE_HOME, just because
program generated them.

IMHO all files used for some kind of configuration/re-configuration,
either by user or by program itself, should go on the same place and
that place is already defined.

--
Sanel Zukan
http://equinox-project.org