What constitutes "user configuration files" in the XDG basedir spec?

David Faure dfaure at trolltech.com
Thu Jan 15 06:53:01 PST 2009

On Thursday 15 January 2009, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 2:49 PM, David Faure <dfaure at trolltech.com> wrote:
> > On Thursday 15 January 2009, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> >> Not at all. It's something that can be recreated, possibly taking a
> >> lot of resources, not something unneeded.
> > Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Therefore, desktop icons and window size
> > and other settings indirectly changed by the user do NOT belong there.
>
> That's _exactly_ why they belong there :). There is no way a
> _computer_ can recreate such data on its own by means of any
> calculations.

Misunderstand on what "there" is about, I think?
I meant such things do NOT belong in "cache", they belong in "config".
I think you meant that too?

> What constitutes a cache to me is a pile of data that
> could be recreated by the program if needed but keeping it around
> requires significantly less resources. Think temporary internet files
> or podcasts or your music collection's ID3 tag database or even a list
> of first 123456 prime numbers.

I totally agree.

> Following your rationale I could argue that your spreadsheets and Word
> document should be kept in cache as the *user* is perfectly capable od
> recreating the data.

This is certainly not what I said nor implied.

I think we agree, but we both sent ambiguous enough emails to misunderstand each other :-)