Errors related to _NET_WM_ICON are found in wm spec

Pat Suwalski pat at suwalski.net
Wed Jan 28 09:30:38 PST 2009

Owen Taylor wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 11:08 +0800, PCMan wrote:
>> http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-1.4.html#id2552223
>> This is mainly a 32-bit / 64-bit issue.
>>
>> The original spec:
>> _NET_WM_ICON
>> _NET_WM_ICON CARDINAL[][2+n]/32
> [...]
>> The proposed revision:
>> _NET_WM_ICON
>> _NET_WM_ICON CARDINAL[][2+n]/32(or 64 if you are on 64-bit systems)
>
> The spec is documenting what is in the property, not how Xlib represents
> it when you retrieve it from the server. Somebody reading a spec like
> this needs to understand the (somewhat bizarre) handling of format 32
> properties inside Xlib as general knowledge.

I would greatly appreciate if a note to that effect was placed in, as I
would think that many people try to implement the startup spec on their
own iwthout using libstartupnotification; I, for one, in reading the
spec assumed what PCMan did. It didn't make any difference in the end,
but clarification is always good.

--Pat