freedesktop.org specification process

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Fri Jul 10 00:42:43 PDT 2009

On Friday 10 July 2009 01:38:45 Jannis Pohlmann wrote:

> Release teams ... I still don't agree with that ;)

The rationale for having the release teams as the point of contact is that
they already decide about dependencies of their software, they have an
overview of what's being included and what's not, and they are used to these
kind of balancing decision processes. Additionally each community is
guaranteed to have a release team.

This is mostly about a point of contact. It's not about doing all the work.
But the release teams are likely to be in the best position to broker
requests.

Another advantage of doing it via the release teams is that there is an actual
team behind that, and it's not a single person, who could become a
bottleneck.

We could also do something else like letting the formal organizations name
representatives. But I like the simplicity of the release team approach.