freedesktop.org specification process

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at kde.org
Fri Jul 10 02:43:34 PDT 2009

Le Thursday 09 July 2009, Cornelius Schumacher a écrit :
> Following up on the discussion about freedesktop.org at GCDS and the
> additional input on the mailing list, I wrote down a specification for the
> process how to manage freedesktop.org specifications. It's based on the
> consensus we built at GCDS plus the input which came from Aaron and others
> before and after the meetings.
>
> To bootstrap the process I wrote it down as a freedesktop.org specification
> following the proposed process. You can find the text at
> http://gitorious.org/~cornelius/xdg-specs/xdg-specs-spec0/blobs/master/spec
>ifications/SpecificationProcess/specification.txt
>
> Please have a look and comment.
>
> The next step would be to work in your comments, and when this is done to
> merge it back to the main repository and get approval by the release teams.

Something is missing to me.
Before creating a specification, we should have a process to ask for feedback
and requirements from different desktop, so everyone is on the same page
before.

This is almost taken care if we want to take a freedesktop namespace, but not
for general specification.

In my opinion this should be a recommanded good practice.  sending an email to
xdg mailing list with the intentent, and then the point of contact of each
desktop make sure the right person and give feedback.