freedesktop.org specification process

Brian J. Tarricone brian at tarricone.org
Fri Jul 10 12:27:02 PDT 2009

On 2009/07/10 00:42, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> On Friday 10 July 2009 01:38:45 Jannis Pohlmann wrote:
>> Release teams ... I still don't agree with that ;)
>
> The rationale for having the release teams as the point of contact is that
> they already decide about dependencies of their software,

Maybe they do with KDE (and maybe with GNOME), but that's not true
everywhere.  We (Xfce) decide about dependencies collaboratively at the
start of the development cycle.

> they have an
> overview of what's being included and what's not, and they are used to these
> kind of balancing decision processes. Additionally each community is
> guaranteed to have a release team.

No, they really aren't.  In the past, we haven't decided on a "release
team" (usually just one or two people) until we start the alpha/beta
cycle for the next release.  (We have a plan to be a bit more formal
about this stuff, but this is how it's worked in the past.)  Please
understand that most projects don't have the resources to dedicate
people to it.  Also understand that GNOME and KDE are unique in that
they have a lot of paid developers.  Xfce is done entirely by volunteers
in their free time.  I'm not sure, but I believe LXDE is similar in that
regard.

> Another advantage of doing it via the release teams is that there is an actual
> team behind that, and it's not a single person, who could become a
> bottleneck.

Heh.  Not quite.

> We could also do something else like letting the formal organizations name
> representatives. But I like the simplicity of the release team approach.

Naming formal representatives basically sounds pretty much equal in
terms of usefulness to the release team approach.  The only reason the
release team idea is simpler is because it doesn't require selecting
anyone.  Communication difficulties remain the same.

There's just no reason to need points of contact at all in the general
case with a more decentralised system like the one Aaron suggests.  A
point of contact might be useful in the case that there's an
intra-project dispute, but one would hope they'd be few and far between
(as someone mentioned, even with KDE's open-commit policy, there'd only
been two issues over the past 10 years...  our communities are pretty
trusting and that trust is rarely violated).

	-brian