Problems with NoDisplay and menu editors

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Sat Jul 11 16:53:56 PDT 2009

On 2009/05/11 06:00, Travis Watkins wrote:
> On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 5:50 AM, David Faure<faure at kde.org>  wrote:
>> On Monday 04 May 2009, Travis Watkins wrote:
>>> Personally I'd rather go with the change to the meaning of
>>> Hidden as it makes the most sense to me (Hidden means it is hidden in the menu)
>>> and would still be compatible with the current menu implementations
>>> since they don't show Hidden items anyway.
>> This would break compatibility with all installed .desktop files which say Hidden=true,
>> with the intention of saying "this file is deleted". We cannot change this meaning,
>> for penalty of introducing 1000 bugs. This is a big veto from me for changing the
>> meaning of a 10-year-old .desktop file key, even though it was misnamed.
>>
>> I don't actually understand the problem you're describing. In all three cases
>> we want "mime handling but no appearance in the menus", and NoDisplay=true
>> does exactly that. So what's the problem you're trying to fix? Too much crap
>> showing up in the menu editors as "no display"?
>
> Exactly, I'm trying to figure out how to let users hide/unhide things
> without making them see the 3 copies of Banshee and 2 copies of
> Brasero and whatever other junk shows up.

Why can't we bring back the 'Desktop Actions' portion of the desktop
entry spec (or was that in the menu spec?)?  This easily solves the
issue of an app installing >1 .desktop file, and seems to work rather
well in practice (Thunar still implements it even though it was removed
from the spec a while ago).  You'd rarely (never?) display the other
actions in a menu anyway, so they can be safely ignored.

	-brian