[desktop entry spec] new FullName key

David Faure faure at kde.org
Wed Jul 22 13:53:16 PDT 2009

On Wednesday 22 July 2009, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-07-21 at 22:27 +0200, David Faure wrote:
>
> > It sounds like adding a workaround in a perfectly fine spec, just to accomodate
> > broken desktop files.
>
> The spec is not fine here, and your sarcasm doesn't make it any truer.

This was not sarcastic at all, I consider the spec to be fine on this issue
(and judging by the responses in this thread, I'm not the only one)

> The solutions you propose add clutter to the menus, in the form of
> parens or dashes, just to cover up the fact that there is no good way to
> combine the two fields that does not cause translation problems.

If you don't like parens or dashes, use the more modern two-line solution,
with the name on the first line and the genericname on the second line.
This was the first solution suggested in Frederic's email, and also what
kde4 does by default (I forgot to mention that all the other options I
mentionned are only used in the "old-style" K menu).