[New] Desktop Preferred Applications Specification

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Mon Jun 8 17:44:05 PDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-06-09 at 02:24 +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> Am Sonntag, den 07.06.2009, 16:28 +0100 schrieb Bastien Nocera:
<snip>
> > Yes, but we'd still be missing metadata to tell us how to construct the
> > commands to launch those mailers with attachments.
>
> Why not adopt Xfce's approach? Something like:
> X-XFCE-Commands=
> X-XFCE-CommandsWithParameter=

Because that's overloading the desktop spec, and adding more stuff that
shouldn't be there in the first place.

> > > BTW: IMO we also need a "sendto"-spec similar to what Thunar already
> > > does. Then nautilus-sendto would be obsolete anyway.
> >
> > What does Thunar do that would obsolete nautilus-sendto?
>
> Why is nautilus-sendto obsolete?

Would, conditional.

>  I still see it being used in nautilus
> 2.26.2. If it's obsoleted, what's it's successor?

You said it would be obsolete.

> I only mentioned Thunar as an example, because it's usage of the fdo
> specs for the "send to" menu IMO is very clean and simple.

You still haven't explained what Thunar does that nautilus-sendto (or
nautilus) would benefit from?

>  Just drop a
> desktop file in /usr/share/Thunar/sendto and you are ready to go. I
> don't know a file manager that offers similar functionality

You mean like Windows 95's shortcuts so you can right-click on a file
and send to a floppy or the mail program?

>  and IMO this
> should be a standard feature across all desktops - then you don't even
> need a successor for nautilus-sendto.

If it's anything like Windows 95, then it's still missing:
- ability to compress the files (optionally, or forced if sending a
directory)
and
- discovery of targets (either Bluetooth OBEX PUSH devices, UPNP shares,
mail or IM contacts)

Cheers