Starting discussion on a new version of the notification spec

Aurélien Gâteau aurelien.gateau at canonical.com
Fri Jun 12 03:32:06 PDT 2009

Hello,

Since I am quite new to this list, I figured I should introduce myself
briefly. I work for Canonical in the team which created, among other
things, notify-osd [1]. We want to work with upstream developers to find
an agreement so that applications can display notifications in a
consistent way, regardless of which toolkit has been used. I am also a
KDE developer.

I have been talking with various people about the need of a new version
for the notification spec [2].

Here is a list of issues I gathered about the current spec. I do not
want to start a discussion on all of them in this thread as I think it
would be more efficient to discuss each one in a separate thread. This
mail is just to set things up.

# From KDE
- Ability to assign an icon *and* an image to a notification
- Clarifications on sound support

# From Canonical
- Problems with markup in notifications
- Adoption of some Canonical specific hints:
 - value
 - append

# Other issues/suggestions?

I will follow up with a proposal to address the first KDE issue:
"Ability to assign an icon *and* an image to a notification"

Aurélien

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NotifyOSD
[2] http://www.galago-project.org/specs/notification/0.9/index.html