Notification spec issue: Ability to assign an icon *and* an image to a notification

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Jun 13 18:03:33 PDT 2009

On Saturday 13 June 2009, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> On 06/13/2009 05:12 PM, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Saturday 13 June 2009, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> >> I'd say might as well throw in the image format as well.  It's a tiny
> >> extra bit of information, and it's not a big burden to require it from
> >> the app author.
> >
> > to take your earlier question and turn it on this statemetn: to what
> > benefit, exactly? where are the real world use cases?
>
> Sorry, I didn't mean format as in jpeg, png, etc.  I meant pixel format,
> actually.

yes, i understand we're talking about pixel formats.

> Can we really expect all image data to be argb32?

certainly not all image data in the world in argb32, no. the real question is:
Can we reasonably require that all image data used with notifications to be
argb32?

just because we know there are other pixel formats out there doesn't mean
we'll actually see them or need them.

at least in plasma, we'll always be loading them into an argb32 pixel format.
having symmetry on both sides of the wire makes sense to me. let the client
side, which is sourcing the image data, put it in the correct pixel format.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se