Starting discussion on a new version of the notification spec

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Jun 17 11:28:17 PDT 2009

On Wednesday 17 June 2009, Dylan McCall wrote:
> Bottom line? We only need one system that says "notification," and the
> specification's features (as well as implementations) influence this
> directly. Discuss :)

most of what you outline falls into the realm of "visualization"; in KDE4 the
visual notifications, job status and notification area are unified (though
this can also be disabled). this is done by having the visualization handle
all three systems (vis notification, jobs, systray icons).

moreover, we have defined a new d-bus based protocol for the system tray icons
which will allow us to even more cleanly integrate them all in the future as
the tray icons have gone from "those things we xembed, can only put in one
place at a time, have no real control over and no idea wtf they are doing or
mean" to descriptions of the what and why of the icon entry (to the point that
they don't even have to be icons; they could be text entries in an ncurses app
if you wanted ;)

this system ships with KDE 4.3, and we will be bringing it here for comment. a
xdg style spec has already been started based on our implementation, and we're
still flexible to change it upon conversation of it here. we simply wanted to
prove it first in a release so we brought something closer to fully baked
concept- and use-case-wise.

HOWEVER, i don't think, having gone through the whole "how to re-design the
system tray area mechanism", that it's an overly natural fit for visual
notifications. we could make it work if we crammed square pegs into round
holes hard enough, but on the client side it's much more natural to have them
separated.

the visualization can bring them together quite easily.

i also don't think it's wise to start defining "what the visualization should
look like" from client-side API, as "what it should look like" will change
between devices, between philosophies and between decades.

but yes, i agree with a lot of what you observe :)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se